The Philipse Manor railroad station is both headquarters and performance space for the Writers' Center. The building, which is listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places, has been almost completely restored by the Center. (photos below)

The Preservation League of New York State selected The Hudson Valley Writers' Center to receive its prestigious Excellence in Preservation Award for 2005 for its work to restore the station.

A reception was held to thank donor Linda Ashear, whose generosity made possible the most recent round of restorative work to the building's interior, including the installation of a wood floor and the restoration of its walls and ceiling. To see photos from the event, click here.

Following is an excerpt from the April, 2001 edition of The Chronicle, a publication of The Historical Society, Inc., serving Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown.

As early as 1903 the Philipse Manor Company was holding discussions with the railroad about constructing a station on the Hudson River Railroad line in the Manor. In fact, a 1903 company pamphlet depicts an artist's rendition of the proposed station. Detailed site drawings were first created in 1910 and by January 1, 1911 the New York Herald reported that the station and its approaches were under construction. The Company deeded six small parcels of land near the tracks and gave the New York City and Hudson River Railroad a perpetual right of way along the tracks. With the same spirit of cooperation between the railroad and the Company, the station was completed costing several hundred thousand dollars. It was reported in 1913 that, "In token of this cooperation the great bronze eagle from the tower of the old Grand Central Station has been established on the riverfront esplanade."

 

West view of station
photo courtesy of Donald Devet
View of Hudson River from station
photo courtesy of Donald Devet
Restoration underway
photo courtesy of Mark Sadan
Restoration underway
photo courtesy of Mark Sadan
Ceiling restoration work
photo courtesy of Constance Silver
Interior wall restoration
photo courtesy of Constance Silver
Artist Karl Tanner rendering of interior space - main room
Interior restoration in progress
photo courtesy of Constance Silver